PREPARING FOR EMERGENCIES
March 8th, 2016
If an unexpected disaster occurs are you prepared? Natural disasters can occur in various forms and at any time. While you cannot predict everything, there are measures that can minimize the damage that incurs when it comes to preparing for emergencies. We have five tips to help prepare you and your storage unit in case of disaster.Have a protection plan for your storage unitOur facility offers a protection plan that is designed to cover financial losses of items damaged in natural disasters. Plans can be purchased at our office and can be added into your monthly rent. Do not assume the property’s insurance covers your goods, you are responsible for the protection of your stored goods. For information on protection for your stored goods, please see store manager.Create a disaster kit
- Kit should include water, non-perishable food, flashlight/batteries, first aid kit, local maps, towelettes, and garbage bags.
- Keep the kit at a readily accessible place.
Have an evacuation plan
- Be sure to know routes on how to get to a safe spot during a disaster. Have a planned meeting stop for family and friends.
Know the warning signs of disaster and begin to prepare at first sign
- For tornados, change of color in clouds to a dark green and a roaring noise can be a warning sign that one is coming.
- Dropping temperatures can cause a blizzard or ice storm
- High winds and rough choppy seas can be a signal of a hurricane or tropical storm on the way.
Keep any important documents with you
- Documents such as birth certificates, passports, identification cards or anything that needs to be easily accessible should be kept with you or in safe in your residence.
Being prepared minimizes the possible damage that can occur. If you need more tips or information for how to store in your unit, please stop by the office or see our other blogs.(sources: ready.gov)